Jasmin Schmeidler, Ph.D., International Arbitration Attorney Network
German Arbitration Lawyer
Attorney at Law Admitted to the Paris Bar
German arbitration lawyer Jasmin Schmeidler has many years of experience focusing on international arbitration (commercial and investment) as Party-Counsel, working primarily in English, French and German but also on cases with significant Italian and Farsi elements. She holds a summa cum laude Ph.D. in International Law and is admitted as an Avocat à la Cour to the Paris Bar.
She offers her services to an international clientele, ranging from individuals, small- and medium-sized enterprises, to large multinationals and state entities, and has served as counsel for claimants and respondents in international institutional (ICC, ICSID, LCIA, PCA, SIAC, DIAC) and ad hoc proceedings (primarily UNCITRAL), under common law, civil law and legal systems combining elements of common and civil law. She has experience both in investment arbitrations, representing natural persons in Bilateral Investment Treaty claims, and commercial arbitrations. She has also represented energy companies in claims based on the termination of long term supply contracts and in disputes involving the renegotiation of prices determination clauses in long term contracts.
Before establishing her boutique law firm as an independent German arbitration lawyer, Jasmin specialized in international arbitration at some of the largest and most reputed international law firms. Jasmin authored a doctoral thesis on Creditors’ protection in international mergers and taught for over ten years at several universities in Paris.
Jasmin graduated with a Ph.D. in International Law (summa cum laude) of the Paris II, Panthéon-Assas, University and was awarded the doctoral thesis prize of this university. She also obtained a D.E.A. in International Business Law and Private International Law (cum laude) and was awarded a merit based scholarship for completing her Ph.D. thesis. She was a DFH (Deutsch Französische Hochschule) scholar and obtained a Diploma of integrated German and French Legal studies (magna cum laude).
– Representing a French energy company in a bilateral investment treaty claim under UNCITRAL rules against an Eastern- European State relating to the termination of several PPA’s entered into by a state owned entity with the French company. The termination of the PPA’s amounted to an expropriation and to the violation of the FET standard, albeit the State argued that the termination was a State’s obligation resulting from its accession to the European Union.
– Representing and European Energy Company in an arbitration against another non European Energy Company relating to the renegotiation of price determination stipulation in a long term gas supply contract.
– Representing natural persons in an ICSID arbitration against a non-European State in a claim based on the expropriation by the non-European State of the Investors’ investment and the violation, by the State, of the fair and equitable treatment obligation.
– Representing natural persons in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin-American State in a bilateral investment treaty claim under ICSID rules relating to the expropriation by the State of the investors’ firm.
ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE, PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCES
Mrs. Schmeidler has authored articles and a doctoral thesis on international business law and international company law. She assisted with updating the 4th edition of Craig, Park, Paulsson, Petrochilos, Silva Romero, International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration, OUP forthcoming. She also regularly speaks at conferences and teaches international arbitration, international business law and private international law at several universities in Paris. Examples of Mrs. Schmeidler’s recent academic experience include:
• Currently, lecturer in international commercial arbitration with Paris Descartes University, LLM in International Law, lecturer in international business law with Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University, Master in International Law, lecturer in private international law with Paris 13 Villetaneuse University, Master 2 in International and European Law;
• Lecturer (A.T.E.R.) in company law and private international law with Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University (2009-2012);
• Lecturer (allocataire de recherché) in international business law with Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University (2003-2007);
• Speaker at University Paris-Est Créteil on “Professions of arbitration”.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AS GERMAN ARBITRATION LAWYER
Jasmin Schmeidler International Dispute Resolution, since 2015
Owner of the boutique law firm Jasmin Schmeidler, International Dispute Resolution based in Paris. Serving as counsel, co-counsel and consultant in investor State disputes and commercial disputes under the ICC, DIS, UNCITRAL and ICSID and other rules, while lecturing on international arbitration, international business law and private international law at the Paris II, Panthéon-Assas, Paris V Descartes and Paris XIII Villetaneuse Universities and acting as Scientific Director of the Revue libre de Droit and Ambassador of the Arbitration Academy in Paris.
Dechert LLP, law firm, Paris (2014-2015)
Assisted with updating of the third edition of Craig, Park, Paulsson, International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration, 4th edition of the book, Craig, Park, Paulsson, Petrochilos, Silva-Romero, International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration, OUP forthcoming in 2016. Conducted autonomously research and drafted updates to the 3rd edition of the book. She also assisted punctually on cases and was involved in cross examinations on issues of groups of companies.
White & Case LLP, law firm, Paris (2014)
Together with other lawyers of the firm, Mrs. Schmeidler served as counsel in a variety of disputes as a German arbitration lawyer, under the rules of UNCITRAL, ICC and LCIA in multilingual (German, French, English) disputes involving the energy, construction and transport sector. Served primarily multinational corporations in disputes under a variety of common law and civil law regimes and private and public international law.
Shearman & Sterling LLP, law firm, Paris (2013)
Mrs. Schmeidler joined the international arbitration department of Shearman & Sterling LLP, considered as one of the most reputed international arbitration law firms in Paris. She served, together with other lawyers of the firm, as Counsel in representing an energy company in an investment arbitration initiated against an Eastern European State and involving issues of EU law. The dispute arose out of the termination by the East-European State of several PPA’s entered into by a French company.
Gide Loyrette Nouel AARPI, law firm, Paris (2013)
Mrs. Schmeidler worked in the international arbitration department of Gide Loyrette Nouel AARPI, biggest French international law and worked on files in international arbitration (investment and commercial) and represented clients, together with other lawyers of the firm, in arbitrations under UNCITRAL, ICSID and ICC Rules. She primarily assisted with preparing memorials in investment arbitration under the auspices of the ICSID.
Arendt & Medernach, law firm, Luxembourg (2012)
Mrs. Schmeidler worked in the corporate, M&A department of Arendt & Medernach ,the biggest Luxemburgish law firm and drafted deeds, legal opinions and memoranda in company law, minutes of board and shareholder general meetings concerning the restructuration of corporations (mergers, acquisitions, raise of share capital), merger agreements & proxies, in English, German and French.
Thomas H. Webster, International Arbitrator (2007)
Mrs. Schmeidler assisted Thomas H. Webster in his activities as arbitrator: she was involved in the various activities in doing legal research (in Swiss law), assisted with drafting of arbitral awards and was in charge of proof reading.
EDUCATION AND TEACHING
University Paris II, Panthéon-Assas (2003-2006, 2008-2010)
Mrs. Jasmin Schmeidler served as assistant lecturer at the University Paris II, Panthéon-Assas, and taught International Business Law, Private International Law, and Company Law on a full time basis. In addition, as a merit based scholar from the French Ministry for Education and Research, she prepared a Ph.D. in International Business Law. She conducted research among others in French, German, Swiss, UK and Delaware Law and has therefore a deepened knowledge of International Business & Company Law issues in these jurisdictions.
• CAPA, Paris bar school
• Doctorate in Law, Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University
Summa cum laude
Doctoral thesis prize of the Paris II University
• D.E.A. in International Business Law & Private International Law, Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University
Awarded a merit based scholarship (allocation de recherche)
• Maîtrise in International Law Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University
DFH (Deutsch-Französische Hochschule) merit scholar
• Diploma of integrated German & French Legal studies, Ludwig Maximilian and Paris II, Panthéon-Assas Universities
Magna cum laude
DFH (Deutsch-Französische Hochschule) merit scholar
• Lecturer, University Paris II, Panthéon-Assas
Since 2003, ongoing International Trade Law, Master 1
2010 – 2011 Private International Law, Master 1
2008 – 2010 Company Law, Licence 3
• Lecturer, University Paris V, Descartes
Since 2015, ongoing International Arbitration, LLM in International Law (lecture in English)
• Lecturer, University Paris XIII, Villetaneuse
Since 2015, ongoing Private International Law, Master 2 in European & International Law
Admitted to the Paris bar, Avocat à la Cour
• German (native)
• French (fluent)
• English (fluent)
• Italian (proficient)
• Farsi (basic knowledge)
Jasmin Schmeidler’s offices are located at:
122, rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré
Telephone : +33 1 45 51 82 68
Cellphone : +33 6 58 05 71 65
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
She may also be reached by filling out the form below.