Turgut Aycan Özcan, International Arbitration Attorney Network
Turkish Arbitration Lawyer
Admitted to the Istanbul Bar
Mr. Özcan is a Turkish arbitration lawyer based in Istanbul, Turkey, who specializes in international investment arbitrations, international commercial arbitrations, and public procurement law. As a lawyer at the Turkish arbitration boutique, he provides high-quality international arbitration legal services in Turkish, English and French to both Turkish and non-Turkish clients.
One of the top students at the University of Bahçeşehir where he earned his law degree, Mr. Özcan has also studied at William Mitchell College of Law. He has written on International Commercial Arbitration in Turkey, as well as investment treaty arbitrations, and he currently serves in multiple commercial and investor-State arbitrations.
Akinci Law Office (January 2016 – present)
Sakmar Law Office (August 2012 – January 2016)
His experiences as a Turkish arbitration lawyer at Sakmar Law Office are mainly related to international investment arbitration, public procurement and non-profit organizations. They include representing a Turkish construction company against Turkmenistan in a large ICSID arbitration, as well as working in an arbitration team dealing with various cases taking place before ICSID and ICC tribunals.
He has given advice to major international companies prior to entering into various public tenders organised by governmental authorities in Turkey while preparing memorandums on Turkish Public Procurement Legislation. He has also provided legal advice to foreign clients on the activities of non-profit organisations in Turkey.
Aksac Law Office (October 2010 – June 2012)
His experiences in Aksac Law Office were mainly related to capital markets, public procurement and acquisition finance. He was involved in banking and capital markets matters, and reviewed and commented upon various banking agreements such as harmonized business conditions of major international banks while checking the compliance of such agreements with Banking Law. He also reviewed and drafted various swap agreements and other similar agreements prescribing derivative transactions in accordance with Turkish Capital Market Law, while providing legal advice on new capital market instruments (i.e. Sukuk Ijara).
He also rendered advice to major international companies prior to entering into various public tenders organised by governmental authorities in Turkey and prepared advice on Turkish Public Procurement Legislation. With respect to acquisition finance, he represented a major credit institution located in the U.S.A. with respect to the financing of engines for a commercial ship, drafted a loan agreement and other loan and security documents including the execution and registration of a vessel mortgage agreement with the Vessel Registry Directorate.
Birsel Law Offices (March 2005 – April 2010)
At Birsel Law Offices Mr. Özcan focused on international commercial arbitration and litigation, although he was also involved in energy law, privatization law, mergers and acquisitions, acquisition finance, project finance, corporate law, capital market law and real estate law.
With respect to dispute resolution, he:
• Prepared pleadings submitted to the arbitration tribunal in accordance with Turkish International Arbitration Law.
• Prepared pleadings submitted to the competent court in Turkey with respect to the annulment of arbitration award in accordance with Turkish International Arbitration Law.
• Prepared pleadings submitted to the competent court in Turkey for the recognition and enforcement of a foreign court judgment.
• Was involved in lawsuits pertaining to the protection of intellectual property rights.
He was also involved in mergers & acquisition work involving the privatization of Erdemir, the largest iron and steel factory in Turkey, worked on the project on privatization of State-owned electricity distribution companies, provided legal advice to the major investment banks of the United Kingdom on energy law, particularly relating to Turkish Legislation regulating the petroleum market in Turkey, and provided legal advice to a large Austrian company operating in the sectors of petroleum and gas, on Turkish petroleum law and energy legislation.
He was also involved in matters involving banking, finance and Turkish capital markets, and he worked on projects with respect to major acquisition finance transactions and acted as a legal counsel of well-known finance corporations. He drafted Turkish law security documents including share pledge agreements, account pledge agreements and mortgages and perfection of such security interests, prepared legal memoranda in relation to Turkish capital market legislation for major International Banks, and he worked on legal transactions relating to capital increases and decreases in Turkish companies.
PUBLICATIONS AND OTHER EXPERIENCE
• Essay named Development Process of International Commercial Arbitration in Turkey; participated in Gillis Wetter Essay Competition organised by the London Court of International Arbitration.
• Essay named “Assessment of Most Favored Nation Clauses in Terms of Ejusdem Generis Principle and its Impact over Some Bilateral Investment Treaties executed by Republic of Turkey in the 1990s“.
• Served as an arbitrator, and a memorial judge, in Foreign Direct Investment Moot Competition held in German Institution of Arbitration on 24th-26th October 2013.
• Admitted to the Istanbul Bar
• Member of the Young International Arbitration Group of the London Court of International Arbitration
• Young ICSID Group
• ICC Young Arbitrators Forum Member
• International Law Office
November 2016- , University of London, London, U.K., LL.M in International Dispute Resolution
May – June 2014, American University, Washington College of Law, Washington D.C.
– International Arbitration Program
September 2001 – July 2005, University of Bahçeşehir, Istanbul, Turkey, B.A. in Law
– Graduated with honours degree ranking as the third best of the class
– Cum Laude, G.P.A: 3.15/4.00
August – September 2004, William Mitchell College of Law, Minnesota, U.S.A.
– Took courses in Contracts Law, Law of Torts, Constitutional Law, Civil Procedure Law as an exchange student.
- Turkish (fluent)
- English (fluent)